Friday 12 April 2013

Diving



You asked me what the meaning of life was
Whales? I said, with a question mark larger than my nose
You tried again, 'do you love me?'
I wondered if it was really a question
Or a thought that struck us both
The day I saw you, golden and blue
Swimming lengths of that tiny backyard pool
The most beautiful boy
A little older than me, mysterious, exotic
I followed you all day
I learned to dive, and the sun burned
My pale virgin skin
Which you took in your hand
My hand
The whole of my body in that one grasp
Blistering under your touch
I couldn't speak to you
It was too bright, too clear, too painfully explicit
To say more than 'uno', 'this is the english way of saying trashcan',
What's a quarterback?
When I left you, I felt that I was drowning
Fifteen lengths of a smaller pool, underwater
Four years passed, or maybe three
Dreaming of you, waiting for your letters to form on the screen
Let's go to Paris, you said, together
I'll open a bookshop
Or maybe London
The thing is, I read what I want to
Into those messages you sent to a little girl you found
Sweetly waiting
Those books, without the scribbled-upon notes you lacked so badly
To get more than the car you bought with the money for college
To drive to california to see the girl
Whose love you wanted so badly
I gave you mine. Please,
Come back.
The day she told me.
The cold white shock of your bones lying in the soft ground.
I did not cry. The sun no longer burned, eclipsed by the
Earthy shadow cast as you dive headfirst
Into the mud, shimmer and vanish
I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you
I will always love you, please. Please. Please. Please. Please.
Listen to me.
I stopped sleeping with the light on.
Your ghost, at least, knew
That my heart was gone
An empty crisp-packet of a shell
(Crisps are chips, but really chips are fries, do you remember?)
Sleeping alone in the dark
Thinking of you
Not crying, and soon
Unable to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment